When you have the clarity on the top 7 key things that makes your personal brand, then you can develop your brand to live your life truthfully under any circumstances that come. And you can also achieve tremendous results by focusing on what you love doing. The starting block or first stepping stone to develop your personal brand is getting to know yourself better, being thoughtful what do you stand for, what is important to you, what you care about and what you love doing.
And here I will share with you the top 7 key things that make your personal brand:
- Your Special Talents – your talents, your special traits that help to differentiate you from others and be great at what you do. You are great at what you do when you develop your talents and apply them in the job that you love doing. Therefore first step in building your brand is to identify your talents that you were born with and developed during your life. It is best to develop them in accordance to your values.
- Your Values. What you believe and truly value is highly important in your life and work. Your values are evident in the way you do things. Two people with similar talents but different values are likely to develop different careers. Knowing your values can help you to decide how to apply your talents and build a fulfilling career or business.
- Your Purpose is linked to what you love doing and do very well. Your purpose is what you are here for on this planet. You define that. Your purpose arises from your talents and values. The purpose is like a horizon – you are aiming to get there, but you will never reach it fully. Sense of purpose is a sense of direction. When your whole being seems to be in a resonanse with what you are doing, you are pursuing your purpose.
- Your Vision – when you are aware and have defined your purpose, create your vision to strive for. The vision is like a pathway that guides you in direction of realizing your purpose. It is a planned wise pathway that brings you to the future you have imagined.
- Your Mission determines how you are going towards your vision. Your mission describes how you want to live your life. And what you want to do. Once you are clear about your mission, your work will be more meaningful and satisfying.
- Your Behaviours – be thoughtful about what behaviours are you expressing to lead you towards your mission and purpose, achieving your goals. Think about what words are you choosing in your language to express your views and influence result. Your behaviours are like your personal brand advertisement messages, they tell people who you are and what value are you adding or can add.
- Your Authenticity. If you are true to your talents and values, you have clarity upon your vision and mission and express behaviours that enhances you, that makes you authentic. By being authentic you will naturally attract people – employers, customers and colleagues, who share some of your values and appreciate what you do best.
When you have thought through what makes your brand and what matters to you, when you have clarity of what are your talents, values, vision, purpose, mission, behaviours and how that all builds your authenticity, then it is the time. It is the time to focus on developing your brand in the direction that you want to develop it to achieve your goals. It is the time to position and communicate your brand via the channels and to the audiences that will appreciate your added value. It is the time to start enjoying the exciting opportunities that strong personal brand and relevant branding bring you.
Branding is an incredibly important tool for creating and building your success in life and career. Large companies have been benefiting from branding ever since people first started selling things to other people. Wise branding made those businesses to expand hugely.
You probably think – I am not a business, I am a professional and I do not need branding as much as companies do. Not true. The truth is that you need branding as much as businesses do or even more. You are selling your value and service to the potential employers or business partners. Branding will make a huge impact in getting the best deal for your career or business development.
When I am coaching professionals to develop their personal brand, I see an enormous difference in how their confidence grows and impact increases in getting what they want in their life and career when they develop and position their brands. I see how leaders are becoming more successful in developing engagement in their teams and executing the strategy, when they have obtained the clarity on their brand, what they stand for, and are focusing on their personal brand development and positioning.
You already have a brand. As Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, once said: “Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room”. However, most people do little to build their brands. They get on with their jobs, hoping someone will notice them. They may be very skilled and extremely talented, but they are not well known for their skills and talents. They have weak brands that hold them back from huge success. A strong brand will transform your career extraordinary.
Your brand makes you stand out from the crowd like a tall building. It helps you to get the job that you love, to attract people who want to buy what you have to offer.
When people know what you are strong at and confident about, they give you these projects, as you will do them better that someone who is not known for being great at it. I encourage you to take time and build your brand if you have not done so yet. Discover, what is already out there – you already have a brand, people talk about you. Identify your talents and values and what you love doing. Think about your experience where you have been great at it. And build your unique selling proposition to market yourself. There will be other tactics that you will need to do, but this is a good starting point.